photo from closet cooking
I love to snack on a nice crisp apple, but if it's not crisp you can forget about it. I had a few not-so-crisp apples in my fridge and knew I needed to cook with them. I found this recipe for caramel apple crisp and it turned out SO well. I will be making it over and over again. It's so easy and perfect for fall. I've been eating apple crisp my whole life, but I never thought to add caramel. The caramel takes this to a whole new level. Make this! You won't be disappointed.
CARAMEL APPLE CRISP
adapted from Mindika Moments
4-6 large apples; peeled, cored and sliced (I use a combination of granny smith and gala)
1 T. lemon juice
1/3 C. sugar
¼ C. flour
1 t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
1/8 t. cloves
½ t. salt
6 oz. caramel ice cream topping
1 C. brown Sugar
1 C. flour
1 C. oatmeal
¼ C. chopped nuts
½ C. butter; melted
1. In a buttered 9 x 13 pan add apples and lemon juice; stir to coat apples.
2. In a separate dish combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt; stir to mix.
3. Pour dry ingredients over apples and stir until apples are well coated.
4. Spread out apples and pour caramel sauce over the top.
5. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, and walnuts; stir to mix.
6. Using a fork mix in melted butter to form coarse crumbs.
7. Spread topping evenly over apples.
8. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
9. Serve with vanilla ice cream.